Friday, April 16, 2010

Cuckoos and Catbirds



Beautiful day for birding on Grand Isle today. Even though I arrived mid-day, the weather was sunny but not too hot, a little breezy, and altogether pleasant. The woods are all fresh and green. I did make a pass to the state park end of the island and picked up a few shorebirds, but spent most of my time in Sureway woods. Birds were not there in great number, but there were some good ones. Unfortunately, most of them eluded my camera. Catbirds are probably the most plentiful, but there were also 3 types of vireos, both Summer and Scarlet Tanagers, Indigo Buntings and Blue Grosbeaks, a several warblers -- coolest for me were the Northern Waterthrush and the Black-throated Green. There were also several Cuckoos, though try as we might, we could not make any of them into Black-billed.

No comments: